Don’t you just love how the universe works its magic in connecting you with the people you are meant to meet! I seem to attract coaching clients in my 1:1 coaching practice that are going through stuff that I’ve gone through in the past.
Today I’m going to talk to you about facing up to and owning your emotions instead of running and hiding from them; this could be done in the form of using food, substances and basically just looking outside of yourself for that other thing to fill you up. I’m sure this isn’t the first time you’ve heard this, you’ve got to start that journey from within and seek happiness from that special place within you. No amount of material things will ever bring you to that place. Eventually you will need to journey and search within.
In the past I’ve used food, as well as substances such as recreational drugs, coffee and shopping to avoid those emotions. Instead of sitting with whatever was coming up for me in that moment and working through it, I would run for something to cover it up. This of course only leaves it ten times worse, because what happens is we’re suppressing and suppressing all those emotions until one day we feel totally and utterly overwhelmed. Maybe this then manifests as severe anxiety, and or even depression.
What’s helped me in overcoming this as well as coming out the other side a stronger, wiser and more intuitive soul is having a daily spiritual practice.
So what exactly is Spirituality?
Spirituality is often questioned and it’s also commonly misunderstood. Sometimes there is a tendency to misinterpret the meaning of spirituality and many actually confuse spirituality with religion.
Most religions indicate spirituality as being a significant part of devotion and faith, but it’s also absolutely possible to be ‘spiritual’ without essentially being a part of an organised religious community or group.
Spirituality is more of an individual practice which I believe has to do with seeking a sense of peace, harmony, balance and purpose. Spirituality also relates to the practice of creating and developing beliefs around the meaning of life, along with the connection with others.
Why do people practice Spirituality?
Many people see spirituality as a great way of pursuing comfort, support, love and peace in their life. It’s often practiced alongside things like yoga and meditation, which ultimately focus on stress relief and release of emotions.
Spirituality is also used as a way of gaining an outlook – recognising that our part in life has a much greater meaning than just what we do every day.
It can help to detach a person from necessity and reliance on material things and create a greater purpose. For some, spirituality may also be a way of coping with change, doubt, insecurity or uncertainty.
The meaning of Spirituality to me…
- Spirituality to me is that part of us that exists beyond material things and concerns. These parts dwell in our inside world – the soul – and our outside world – the universe. It means, I’ve decided to live a more conscious life. I do this by observing myself, my patterns, behaviours, thoughts, and emotions, and I work on all those challenges that come on my path along the way. We all have many kinds of challenges to face.
- If you think about it, from the day you are born you’re conditioned by society, our family, parents, school teachers, media etc. We start to believe all these things which actually end up taking us away from who we truly are. When you walk a spiritual path what you’re adhering to is finding your way back to your true self. You start to let go of all those beliefs and habits you’ve picked up along the way.
- My spiritual path started early in my mid-twenties and I’ve been on this journey for many years now and I’ll whole heartedly admit it’s not an easy one. It requires daily commitment, dedication and complete and utter honesty with yourself. It means facing all those things that scare and challenge you and it requires you to work through them one by one.
- What I’ve learned is that when you lead a spiritual life, that this journey does not end until you depart this beautiful planet. Sometimes it can be painful, challenging, frustrating, and confrontational; but it is so very much worth it. Each and every time you reach a new win, no matter how small it is, you grow, you develop, you mature, and you become stronger, more confident, happier and true to you. It is the journey of a lifetime!
- Living a spiritual live means that I desire to work on myself so that I can become the best version of myself, and at the same time, appreciating the ‘earthly experiences’ such as spending quality time with like-minded souls and family, travelling the world and being of service in the work I get to do each and every day.
I want my life to be a pursuit for complete freedom filled with joy, love, friendship, adventure and happiness. That is the meaning of spirituality to me.
It involves a search for a deeper meaning to live. Some questions you may ask yourself is:
Who am I?
Why am I here?
What is the meaning to life?
What happens after we physically leave this world?
I’m sure you’ve heard these words ‘’we are spiritual beings living a human existence’’. It’s true we’re all spiritual beings.
The Rewards are truly satisfying….
By making a decision to live a spiritual and conscious life; you are making a very brave and courageous decision. It’s a minority that actually ‘’walks the walk’’, I believe many people would like to take this path but fear gets in their way or others wrongly think they are taking this path. For those of us on this path, the rewards are countless.
Here are just some of the many benefits I’ve personally experienced on my spiritual journey:
- No longer letting negative people or situations affect my inner world.
- Smiling and being happy for absolutely no reason at all (such a nice space to be in).
- Step by step; heavy, dark and negative emotions such as anger, stress, worry, anxiety start to fade away and are swapped with a deep feeling of inner peace. I was only just discussing this to my brother and his girlfriend at the weekend, when they asked me what was one of the biggest benefits I’ve gained from a long-term yoga practice.
- I seem to attract the right people in to my life; such as supportive and loving relationships.
- Being more and more present and grateful, which enables me to enjoy every moment of my life (both the good and bad – lessons can be learnt from both).
By giving myself permission to face my fears and heartedly work on myself, it makes every day a wonderful journey.
I won’t admit that it’s not been tough because it has, actually extremely at times and sometimes I’ve felt like giving up! There have been many tears that have flown and will continue to flow as I progress along this path; but so far, it has all been so worth it.
I’m certainly not suggesting that I’ve “arrived” or that I’m ”enlightened”. I am still just a student of this game called ”life” and I’ll be continuously learning until the day I depart my physical body. But until then, I do plan and have made a promise to myself to live a fully conscious life persevering through many lessons along the way.
Allow yourself to feel what’s going on….
So lovely one; the next time you find yourself comforting your emotions through food or other substances, try and see if you can take a step back and check in and see what’s really happening.
In that moment, you have an opportunity to get in touch with your emotional state. Grab your journal, find a quiet space and take a review of how you are feeling. Are you feeling happy? Angry? Tense? Anxious? Sad? Overwhelmed?
Our emotions are a measuring stick for what’s going on beneath the surface. If you are feeling upset, find out why (again this can all be done via journalling). Who or what is bothering you? Is it an internal or an external obstacle? Recognise and identify it.
Define what makes you happy. You can have more joy, love, light and happiness in any moment by developing some useful and realistic practices and daily rituals. When you rise in the morning, and it’s a gorgeous day with blue skies and sunshine and your feeling pretty great. Your feeling energized and alive. What I suggest is taking those feelings and teach yourself how to get up on the right side—every day!
Spirituality is just one of the areas in your life that when it’s full and in balance it can and will fill you up on every level (making the food you eat becoming secondary, rather than the only thing you think about). This will be an area we’ll be delving deep into in my upcoming 5 week coaching program Nourished which kicks off Monday 07th July!
If you would like to find out more on how to live a fully nourished life, you can check out my co-created programme, Nourished: A Loving Approach to Mind & Body Health.
This is a truly unique offering, combining life coaching, health coaching, psychology, and yoga to explore issues such as optimum health and nutrition, emotional eating and holistic mind + body well-being.
This will be the last time we’ll be running this program LIVE. If you are ready to finally heal your relationship with food then this program is for YOU.
Your connection with food reflects your connection with life. If you have a problem with weight, body image, picking the right foods, digestion, or exercising, “attacking” the problem isn’t the answer. Instead you can view these problems as a path to growth.
We believe you’re ready for a new approach to health. One that helps you finally make peace with your food issues and fits your lifestyle. One where your health is defined by YOU.
Nourished gives you all the tools you need to incorporate healthy choices for your mind and body into your daily routine. Now you can eat well and feel better (without making yourself insane).
***SPECIAL LINK FOR NURTUREPOD READERS***
Here’s a private special link for NurturePod subscribers only, that will allow you to split the cost of the programme over 2 easy instalments –> http://www.nurturepod.com/nourished-special
Early Bird registration ENDS Monday 23rd JUNE, EST (midnight).
After that, registration will increase and will close midnight Monday 7th July, EST.
Programme commences Monday 07th July.
You can read what others are saying about this program HERE.
Love and Light,
LOVE THIS POST?
Get updates delivered straight to your inbox.