The Crown Chakra is our connection to the Universe, our connection to our Higher Selves or Source. This chakra is the spiritual connection through which you can reach your highest potential. This chakra is often described as a slowly blooming lotus flower, as the transformation of the spirit during life. This chakra is a tool we use to connect and communicate with our spiritual nature.
This chakra is the gateway to the expanded universe beyond our physical bodies. It is the source of higher sources of information and universal energy and truth. It controls how we think, and how we respond to the world around us. It is the source of our beliefs and it’s the source of our spirituality. It connects us to the higher planes of existence.
The crown chakra relates to consciousness as pure awareness. Some refer to it as a “god source.” It’s our connection to the greater world beyond, to an ageless and eternal, spaceless place of all-knowing. When this chakra is developed, it brings us knowledge, wisdom, understanding, spiritual connection, and bliss.
It is said that the Kundalini, which is a dormant sleeping force shown as a serpent coiled at the base of the spine, rises up the spine from the base chakra during awakening and eventually rises up through the Crown Chakra, securing our constant connection to the great spiritual presence within each and every one of us.
I’m blessed to say that this is one chakra that I don’t need to work on a whole lot. Many healers and spiritual teachers have confirmed that I have a very big and open crown chakra.
Location of this Chakra in the Body
This chakra is located on the crown of the head.
Main Element Associated with this Chakra
The element of this Chakra is cosmic energy or thought
Gland Associated with this Chakra
Pituitary and to some extent Pineal
Colour Associated with this Chakra
Violet, Royal Purple
Crown Chakra affirmation
“I allow the light to dissolve away any barriers to my receiving my divine wisdom and guidance.”
‘’I release all fears about listening to my Higher Self, God, my angels and spirit guides.’’
‘’I know that I am safe as I follow my inner spiritual guidance.’’
‘’I allow this guidance to lead me to beautiful opportunities where I share my true nature as a powerful, loving, spiritual being.’’
‘’I listen, I trust, I take guided action.’’
“I am complete and one with the divine energy.”
“I am a spiritual, enlightened, awakened, imaginative, perceptive, and intuitive being.”
‘’Each day, I become more conscious.”
“I walk the path of enlightenment.”
“I am open to experiencing my true nature.”
“I am connected to and supported by everything in the universe.”
“I am one with the universe.”
Crown Chakra Hobbies
Those who are seeking spiritual enlightenment often concentrate on opening the crown chakra. This allows them to establish a spiritual connection with the universe, as well as to discover psychic abilities that would otherwise remain dormant when the chakra is closed.
Quiet and peaceful surroundings free of distraction is vital for developing this chakra; which enables the individual to concentrate on the spiritual world around them rather than the physical one.
The most effective ways of opening this chakra is through meditation and head massage, which results in a feeling of acceptance and oneness with the universe.
A Balanced Crown Chakra
When this chakra is balanced we have the ability to learn and understand new information easily. We are more connected to our spiritual nature. We develop a trust in the divine. We make decisions easily and have a strong sense of devotion. When this chakra is balanced and open we are connected to the world around us and are receptive to the energy, messages from the universe and the aura (which is the electromagnetic field that surrounds every human body) of others.
A balanced and open crown chakra gives you access to your subconscious, allowing you to see your true nature. Through a deep connection to the crown chakra you may fulfill your highest potential.
An Imbalanced Crown Chakra
When this chakra is imbalanced, life will feel difficult and harder to travel. Not that I’m by any means suggesting that life should be always easy! You will just lack direction, focus, inspiration, purpose and your road will feel harder and bumpier. There will be no flow and ease. You’ll experience frustration, lack of joy, boredom which may result in a loss of self, migraines, depression and failure.
An unbalanced crown chakra can display itself in a feeling confusion, a lack of understanding, a loss of identity, lethargy, learning difficulties, or denial of your spirituality.
How to Balance your Crown Chakra
- Start a regular daily meditation practice (even if it’s only for a few mins). This will enable you to quieten your mind which makes the connection to spirit more reachable.
- Cultivate your own relationship with Spirit, whatever that means to you; god, the universe, angels, spirit guides or whatever higher source you recognize. Have faith and trust in what feels right for you. Forget about what others do.
- Create your own personal spiritual practice and commit to it daily.
- Start a gratitude practice – this is a wonderful spiritual lesson to embody in your everyday life.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for support and guidance – commit to it regularly. Our angels won’t intervene until we ask them to do so. Remain open to inspiration and creativity.
- Help others for the sake of helping them – don’t expect anything in return. One of my favourite groups of people that I’ve had the privilege of teaching yoga to was at Vinnie’s, where I set up a free class for a little while.
- Decide now to always choose love. Remember we CANNOT love another until we learn to love ourselves. When you chose love, you’ll be likely to let go of tension from all your other chakras too.
- Prayer. This can be a very personal thing for many of us. It doesn’t have to be religious, formal or foreign. I’m not religious and I pray all the time. A prayer can be as simple as setting an intention for your day, your yoga practice. Mantras can be a form of prayer too. Just close your eyes and let the voice within your heart guide you.
- Connect with your inner self through yoga and contemplation
- Disconnect from the TV, radio, computers, ipads, laptops, ipods – be silent and listen to the universe all around you
- Use aromatherapy oils such as jasmine and lavender
- Keep notepad by your bed and take note of your dreams and thoughts
- Wear or carry a white or violet gemstone, quartz crystal, seraphinite and amethyst.
- Constantly remind yourself of the I AM presence within you and use these words wisely. Always affirm the divinity that is your core self, your Higher Self, and consciously use the present moment to perpetuate this truest measure of your very essence.
- Daily Questions: Are you in control of your destiny? Be open to coincidences that add magic to your life. Is there an issue in your life which you are fighting and battling to control through? Try practicing letting go of your desired result. Take a deep breath and tell yourself, “I trust that the result will be for my highest good, no matter what it may be.” Then let it go.
- Consider doing a detox or fast to energise this chakra. Giving your body a slight break from food can help it rest and restore.
- Drinking plenty of water will energize you crown chakra in no time!
- Chose foods violet in colour, however the vibrations of this chakra often prefer no food at all. Lighter meals, broths, vegetable juices and vegetables are all beneficial for this chakra.
- The mantra Waheguru connects us to the experience of the Infinite.
- Meditate chanting the sound vibration AUM.
Try this pose “Head Stand – Sirasana” to balance your Crown chakra.
- Chronic or recent neck or shoulder injuries
- High blood pressure, heart disease or stroke
- Please note this is an advanced posture, if you are a total beginner its best to practice this pose with an experienced teacher.
- If you are a beginner and not yet free-standing, please come to wall to practice this pose.
- Come to your hands and knees with the wrists underneath the shoulders and the knees underneath the hips.
- Bring your elbows to the floor at shoulders distance apart.
- Interlace your fingers, with your bottom pinky finger tucked in so you make a flat base with your hands and forearms.
- Place the crown of your head on the floor, then cup your head with your interlaced fingers.
- Bring the hips up as if you were coming into Downward Facing Dog.
- Walk the feet in towards your head (so that you bring a full stretch in your hamstrings). Stay here until your hips are over your shoulders. Strongly engage your core muscles.
- Try to kick up one leg and then the other or bend the knees together and bring the legs up together at the same time (this is stronger).
- Press down strongly and firmly into your forearms keeping your weight from coming into your neck and head. Soften your head, jaw, eyes, neck and forehead. Keep a steady and even breath and stay relaxed.
- Now reach up through the balls of your feet and rotate the thigh bones inward slightly. Hold for at least 10-15 breaths or as long as it feels comfortable. I’ve been practicing using a timer for 4-5mins, I’m slowing building up to 10mins -)
- To get out of the pose, lower your toes back down to the ground (taking one leg at a time or the two together if available) and relax in Child’s Pose.
I hope you found this post useful on the crown chakra and I hope that it has given you some clarity on how to balance this very important energy center.
Remember a balanced and open crown chakra gives you access to your subconscious, allowing you to see your true nature. Through a deep connection to the crown chakra you may fulfill your highest potential.
If you enjoyed this blog post today and would like to learn more about these very important energy centers, this is one of my modules being covered in dept in my new e-programme ”Creating A Soulful Life” launching in January 2014.
Sign up below to get on the pre-reg list now and receive your free pdf download of ”Mirror Talk”.
Be kind, be courageous, be yourself.
LOVE THIS POST?
Join our community and get updates delivered straight to your inbox.