The solar plexus chakra is the third chakra in the body’s energy system and is the doorway to the centre of your being. It’s where we absorb and assimilate all the experiences of the world. It’s in this energy center that we digest things, physically, emotionally and mentally. Also known as the Manipura Chakra (meaning diamond) is the energy center of personal feelings, power and sensitivity. The solar plexus relates to the nervous system, the stomach, and other internal organs. A healthy solar plexus chakra can help create a healthier digestive system, as well as emotional health, which is an aspect of all the main chakras. This chakra is where we get our “gut instincts” that signal us what to do when we need guidance. It’s where we begin to develop our concept of self, where we become self-conscious.
From early childhood most of us are taught to repress our emotions and feelings. By repressing the third chakra, you place yourself on auto-pilot and this can actually cause severe emotional problems. To aid this center, you must relax your emotions. This centre must be made more available. You must be more sensitive, laugh more, cry more, touch and feel more.
Love this explanation from Chakra Dance…[box type=”info”]Energetically, physically, emotionally and mentally, we are all powerful, radiant beings. However, we may not always be living from a place where we accept and radiate our own power. Sometimes we may feel like it would be easier not to have to interact and bargain and state our worth to people at all. Sometimes we may give in and accept less than we’re worth. These are all symptoms of an under-active solar plexus chakra.
Your solar plexus chakra is your one-way ticket to discovering your own personal power and will. It is located between your navel, and the base of your sternum. You may feel it as an energetic space around your diaphragm. It’s called Manipura in Sanskrit, which means lustrous gem. When Manipura is activated, our whole system becomes fully energised, which in turn fires up our power, drive and sense of purpose.[/box]
Location of this Chakra in the Body
Your solar plexus chakra is located midway between your rib cage and navel.
Main Element Associated with this Chakra
The main element associated with this chakra is Fire.
Gland Associated with this Chakra
Endocrine gland (the pancreas).
Colour Associated with this Chakra
Solar Plexus Chakra affirmation
“I am radiant, beautiful and strong and enjoy a healthy and passionate life”
“I believe in myself and can do anything I set my mind to. Every task comes easily and effortlessly.”
“I am willing to release all my fears and struggles that have to do with power and control.”
“I trust my inner voice. I am strong, wise and powerful.”
“I let go of everything that I no longer need.”
Solar Plexus Chakra Hobbies
Painting, drawing, photography, do puzzles, pick up an old hobby and/or develop your photogenic memory. Find the time to be outdoors and enjoy the yellow energy from the beautiful sun.
A Balanced Solar Plexus Chakra
When you are in balance in this chakra, you will fully accept who you are, you will boost self-esteem and have respect for others. You will have a greater sense of inner peace, balance and harmony, which also brings about a warmer personality. You will be vibrant and healthy, assertive, set firm boundaries, truly feel and express your power safely. You will be friendly, joyful and confident.
An Imbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra
When you are imbalanced in this chakra you will lack self-confidence. Lack of this yellow energy can manifest into depression and confusion, which have bodily manifestations such as digestive, liver and respiratory problems. You will be prone to codependency; doing for others far beyond what you would do for yourself. You will have difficulty saying “no” and maintaining proper boundaries. You will feel the need to be right, inability to slow down, competitive and attracted to stimulants.
How to Balance your Solar Plexus Chakra
- Cultivate a strong sense of self and take view of your own unique direction, ambitions and goals.
- Find suitable self-discipline in your life.
- Create good boundaries.
- Celebrate your achievements and successes.
- Try to take responsibility for your life, and not blame others, circumstances, or the universe.
- Instead of making choices based off fear and nerves, try answering this questions “Which choice will empower me more?” If it will empower you, encourage yourself to go in that direction. Based off my own lessons and experiences if I’m making decisions based off the knot of worry in my stomach, I stay stuck!
- Solitude and earthing combined is wonderful. Get outside and spend time in nature, take your shoes off and earth your bare feet in the ground.
- Creating art and painting can be incredibly soothing to balance this chakra. Grab a canvas, some paint, a pencil, a pen, a camera…
- What’s you poop like? A lot of us with imbalances in the solar plexus have either constipation or diarrhea or both (IBS) and I know all about this as I struggled with these issues for years. When you poop, think of “out with the old, in with the new.’’ Have you noticed when you exercise more regularly that you also poop more regularly too?
- Water – this helps to keep your body and your bowels well hydrated which will also help regulate your pooping.
- Core strengthening exercises – think of anything that strengthens your core muscles as this will strengthen your solar plexus chakra – Pilates, yoga, sit-ups etc.
- Try new things – this does wonders for feeling empowered and knowing your true self-worth.
- Wear yellow or bring the colour yellow more into your life.
- Meditate on a candle flame and connect with the element of fire.
- Take a risk and move forwards in your life with your powerful solar energy.
- Laugh – this comes straight from your solar plexus.
- Meditate chanting the sound vibration RAM.
- Burn oils of Rose, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood and Tea Tree.
Try this pose “Warrior II – Virabhadrasana II” to balance your solar plexus chakra.
- Standing in tadasana, exhale as you lightly step or jump the feet wide apart.
- Turn your right foot out 90 degrees to the right and your left completely parallel to the back of your mat. Align your right heel to the inner arch of your left left.
- Inhale and extend your arms strongly out to the sides. Let your breath open your heart and lungs so they can offer organic support to the outstretched arms.
- As you exhale, slowly bend your right knee forward over your right heel, aiming to bring your right thigh parallel to the ground. Your right shin should be perpendicular to the floor.
- Wrap your right seat underneath and draw your bottom front ribs in keeping your abdomen from swaying outward.
- Strengthen this position by pressing the outer left heel into the floor.
- Breathe deeply here as this pose requires lots of energy. As you breathe out imagine yourself expanding from your center, letting all your limbs release away from your belly.
- Keep your pelvis lightly lifted up off your legs so that hips will be open and your spine can ascend freely.
- Turn your gaze towards your right hand and beyond, while keeping your spine centered over your pelvis.
- Breathe slowly and deeply and stay here for 30 seconds to one minute.
- To exit, inhale and straighten your right leg. Keeping your arms as they are if you can.
- Reverse your feet facing the other way and repeat this same pose for the same length of time on the left side.
- Yoga poses: all the warrior poses (I provide instructions for warrior 2 below), twisting poses, sun salutations, bridge pose, dancers pose, cobra pose etc.
- Cardiac Problems OR High blood pressure please approach this pose with caution. Practicing hands by the sides or hands on the hips will reduce strain on the heart.
- Medical conditions that affect balance.
- Do not practice this pose if you have a recent hip, knee, or shoulder injury.
- Neck problems – those with neck injuries should not turn their head to face the front hand. Always work within your own range of limits and abilities.
I hope that you’ve found this post useful on the solar plexus chakra and I hope that it has given you some clarity on how to balance this very important energy center.
Next week I will be running a giveaway on my chakra blog post, Tara Wolfe Jewellery have so kindly provided me with a beautiful sterling silver chakra bracelet for the heart chakra (which I so happen to be speaking about next week)! I own two of their divine pieces and they are just simply gorgeous, check out the beautiful bracelet I will be giving away next week here.
Remember if this chakra is nicely balanced you will fully accept who you are, you will boost self-esteem and you will have a greater sense of inner peace, balance and harmony!
Be kind, be courageous, be yourself.
LOVE THIS POST?
Join our community and get updates delivered straight to your inbox.